Wednesday, February 8, 2012

painting makes me happy

Before our "winter" started, I came up with this really dorky schedule for us to follow in the afternoons to keep us from going stir crazy.  But, truth be known it's been too warm and we've been doing outside stuff.  However, today was one of those cold & rainy days that forced us to stay home.  We had another not-so-great night so instead of being crabby abby today, I took out the paint.  I painted several frames, etc. for our house and Carson made this beautiful self-portrait.  Doing step-by-step portraits is my very favorite thing to do with my previous students.
Here is my baby girl's masterpiece.  She was so proud!  She painted all of it by herself, except the blue background.  She takes painting very serious.  Makes my heart happy.  

  I love the lips and the "C" on her shirt the most!
*A little encouragment for my favorite mamas.  Your toddler CAN do this!  Get a canvas and follow these little steps... when I did these in my classroom, it took us about 3 days. 
~have the child draw a big oval with a yellow marker
~next, i outlined the oval w/ the beige paint so she could see her border (she does the rest of the painting)
~paint the oval leaving "no white spaces"
~let it dry and then add some eyes, nose, & mouth
(I did examples for her on a piece of paper & we pointed before painting so she could see where parts were located on her head)
~add some hair.  I let her look in the mirrow to see her hair was more than just lines.  it was more "full"
~add some clothes, etc. 
~when she painted the C it was a little light so I touched it up to make it show up better. 
~let all of that dry and then I used a sponge to do the background. 
have FUN & hang on their wall....they'll beam with pride! 

1 comments:

Lindsey Brackett said...

You are such a fun mommy and teacher!